Monday, March 3, 2008

Oh, so when you said family tree you really meant origami.

Take a sheet of paper. Fold it. Unfold it. Can you ever make these folds go away?



It is very difficult, maybe impossible, to erase a fold. Even if you rip or tear at them they will not go away, they will just become torn. It seems to me that the memory of folds works much the same way with people. Maybe once we have been folded or imprinted a certain way it is difficult to undo... can it ever be undone completely? This relates well to the idea of listening and understanding since you would need to understand one's memory folds in order to try and understand them. Could we also listen to these folds?

*I am afraid of what I cannot unlearn*


We have two strands of beads. I am holding one and someone else is holding the other. Prof. Moss asks if the two strands can come together. Someone answers, "No, I don't think it is that easy. They are each separate circles with no spaces to join. They are far apart and they are held by different people with different intentions." But we do bring the two strands of beads together, at least for a little while. There is an apparent connection, but it is all about perception. Are the two strands really joined? (If two people are married 30 years are they happy?)

Maybe if we listen we can bring two separate strands together. Maybe if we listen we will discover the places or fleeting moments where the two are connected. Maybe if we listen we will find all the places the two will never meet.

The bringing together of two unlike things may be a way to create a new form of understanding.
Here is an example of death and beauty.

1 comment:

forker girl said...

This link of memory to people that you frame is quite instructive and revelatory,

and accesses some of what I love, an idea that I cannot escape influence from my encounters with others, an idea that something is exchanged, that there is mutual, and likely uneven, leaving an impression on those with whom I have direct encounter.

Direct encounter isn't necessary for impression to happen; I can be (am) influenced with what I become aware of in the various modes of awareness,

Yes --the apparent connections, the connections, depending on the framing system activated, that can emerge, for some duration in some location

--I depend on these intersections, now matter how briefly they last;

--for me, there is the bliss that the intersections, however grand, however infinitesimal, happened at all.

thank you for this post; thank you for the exquisite promise framed in the last paragraph.

awarenesses that for me also become forms of responsibilities.

Could we also listen to these folds? --I like this question; I hope so --I will try to listen.