Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I've always liked simple words with complex meanings.

I wonder to what extend I can listen when no one is talking. There is so much more to listen to...

I'm thinking that listening is much more than just the sense of sound. Hearing can be fairly passive, but I believe that listening is (or should be?) active. Interesting--can someone listen with all their senses? Listen to what they see and taste and smell and touch and also what they hear?

When we were talking about pop-up books in class Prof. Moss used the phrase, "A more dimensioned reality." I like that idea. Can we learn to listen in a more dimensioned reality?

Focusing in on listening to images and specifically photographs... We talked about these photo projects in class, and I find them incredibly compelling.
What the World Eats
Material World

End thoughts for this blog: (Copied right out of my class notes so they are nice and vague and jumbled)
Super interesting idea- Is appreciating poetry for its beauty different than trying to understand it? In order to experience the beauty we have to listen to the poem (by listen here I mean really listen, not just hear the words) but it seems that in this act we are also always searching for meaning. To identify something as beautiful, don't we have to understand some part of it? Wouldn't we have had to listen to its essence?

2 comments:

taylorhulyk said...

Your project really struck me as interesting when you presented in class. It has actually got me thinking about it when I'm in a conversation. Do people unselfishly work off each other, or are they just selfishly inserting their thoughts. I think it's a little bit of both, but mostly the selfish instinct. I think people are so afraid of being negatively judged that they choose things to say based on how they feel will garner themselves being viewed in a positive light by those who they are talking with.

In regards to your blog, I find myself wondering if beauty necessarily needs to be understood?? I don't think you necessarily have to probe deeply into something to appreciate its beauty. That being said, it's not always necessary to "listen" instead of "hear" when conversing with someone. it kind of just depends on the type of situation.

Great ideas! I can't wait to see your project!

forker girl said...

It's great how you are acknowledging sonic spaces between tines, locations with more subtle vibrations so that sounds produced by these vibrations are outside the range of unassisted human perception.

Your project is a tool that can extend that range, allowing perception to emerge from these sonic loops of omission.

Oh my -how fascinating, Katie! I must admit that I hadn't yet thought of what might happen to listening in more dimensioned realities --thanks for navigating me to this consideration;

I've done much with layering sounds, and much with exploring sonic interactions, but I don't think that I've necessarily considered sonic implications of multi-planed sonic interactions in clusters of complex geometric realities --I can't wait until I have more time to really listen well to the implications of these considerations.

I am indebted to you for exposing this area of Limited Fork inquiry.

Thank you.